Italian Orzo Soup
This is a delicious, hearty and filling soup, which is great for cold winter days.
SERVES: 4 - 6 people
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
- 8oz Orzo Pasta
- 2 tbsp organic oil
- 1 organic onion (diced)
- 2 carrots (diced small )
- 4 fresh organic tomatoes or 1 tin of cherry tomatoes
- Handful of kale (torn into small pieces and thigh stalks removed)
- 2 litres of organic vegetable stock
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 2 tsp of beef gravy granules (meat free)
- salt and pepper
- Nutritional yeast flakes to serve
- Heat the oil (medium heat) in a large stock pot. Add the diced onion and sauté until soft for approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and garlic. Sautés for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Add the stock, diced tomatoes, orzo pasta, thyme, oregano and rosemary. Stir to mix well.
- Bring soup to the boil and then reduce heat to medium-low in order to simmer for a further 10-12 minutes until pasta and carrots are cooked.
- Add the kale and gravy granules which give a depth to the flavour of the soup. Stir and continue cooking for another 3 minutes until kale is soft.
- Season to taste and serve immediately.
- Garnish with nutritional yeast flakes or a non-dairy cheese.